Pyjamas and getting lost - Seoul Trip Day 14

3/6 23:58
Okay, I'm writing this one super late. It's because I was being super organisational though! I've individually packed and written notes for all 15 people that I got souvenirs for (you say excessive, I worry I forgot someone) and stuffed all but 1 bag into my carry-on suitcase that is now full! Honestly, I'm hoping all of the rest of my stuff fit's into my big suitcase and my backpack. I did leave myself 10kg weight to fill so if I'm smart about packing I might just make it. If not I'm not sure what I'll do, maybe donate something. Not gonna go the Joey way and just wear everything.

Today was for shopping for the rest of my souvenirs and some make up that I'd been saving up for getting. I've been kind of hesitant about spending larger quantities of money on this trip but at this point with only one more unplanned day (and then Tuesday is going to be full) and then leaving, I wanted to make sure I finally got the stuff I'd been hesitating about.

First I picked up more internet for my phone, had an iced milk tea (they've become a favourite) and read some of my book. After I took the subway to Myeongdong (and bought more socks) I made my way down to Etude House to pick up a little special something. I'm sad they weren't selling the Red Velvet lip-lacquer collection as all five because I was willing to spend on that. Anyhow, got two lip products for myself and an eyeshadow palette that surprisingly has been on my wish list for probably over a year now. I'm bad at make up shopping because I never know what colours I need. I made sure to specifically look over my Too Faced Peach palette today and notice what other colours I'd like for my eyeshadows and then just went by those (so, I got a brighter red, some more pale pinks, some pale matte browns etc.). I also got some face-masks for my sisters. It feels weird to send souvenirs in the mail but that's the life of an international student.

One of the items that I've been looking for this whole trip is sunglasses! I want specifically black ones with black lenses but they have to be sort of Cruella de Vil style cat-eye frames. Sadly I've found ones with yellow lenses and pink lenses but none exactly how I wanted them, except one pair! I found them too early and thought the price was a bit steep, but now that I've shopped around I realise the price wasn't actually that bad. I might go pick them up tomorrow if they still have them and if I still find that shop on the streets of Hongdae.

A second thing that I spent my trip looking for and failing to find is pyjamas. I just wanted a cute set of something lightweight for the summer or to just lounge in. I ended up walking into Forever 21 and looking for sunglasses, and on my way to the escalators spotted their sleepwear section! It was perfect. I got a set of pink and white with little shorts and a black and white onepiece romper. I've been chilling in the pink and white set all night and they're comfy if a little bit low cut.

I knew I wanted to go to an Artbox store before I left Seoul (specifically for sticky notes and a mini-hair straightener) so I was happy to find one just as I turned the street from Forever 21. I got what I came for and moved on swiftly.

Now, I thought if I just kept going on random side streets I'd somehow end up near a subway station entrance which was foolish of me. I found several but all lead me to the same underground shopping centre that for some reason didn't have any pointers on how to get to the station part. Some of the shopping malls underground seem to have no connection to the subway station building despite looking similar and so I was very very confused. I kept walking and ended up at the next station, but didn't find the tracks, only more and more underground shopping mall-area. Finally I decided to just walk to the nearest one according to a map and ended up at a green-line station. I was meant to go to PLANT in Itaewon but by the time I found the subway station it was going to take me half an hour to get there and then half an hour to find it before it closed so I gave up on that dream. I took the subway to City Hall instead and just hoped I would find somewhere to eat.

I found a cute little cafe called Mamas Cafe and had a, surprise, cheese and tomato panini. Honestly, I don't know if it's a white person can't do spice thing or a Korea doesn't do vegetarian thing but I've had more paninis on this trip than I thought I would. Often they're just the only veggie thing on a cafe menu, counting only the cafe's that have English writing on their menu. I got a watermelon juice along with my panini and it was yummy! The bread was grey through and through which was confusing but it tasted the same. I started writing my notes for people's souvenirs on some sticky-notes while waiting for my order.

At this point it was getting darker outside but I didn't want to go back just yet. I wrote a few more sticky notes and then head over to the bakery next door. City Hall subway station is, obviously, near City Hall but there's a big field of grass in the middle of the clearing in front of the City Hall building and I wanted to sit there for a while. It's surrounded on all sides by tall buildings with flashing LED-advertisements, so even when it's dark there's enough light to see. I got a few macarons from the bakery and went over to sit for a while.

It eventually got a bit chilly for me in my t-shirt so I hopped down to the subway and took it back to Hongdae. Picked up some snacks on my way back from the station as per usual and settled down on my bed! I had a lovely phone call with my friend Ronja who is in Paris with her boyfriend, so it was very international of us. After the phone call I finished the notes and started packing up everyone's souvenirs.

I got a peach soda looking drink from the CVS yesterday and just realised it's alcoholic! It has only 3%, but it made me feel a bit adventurous drinking it in my room as I packed up gifts. It tasted like peach soda so it could've fooled me.

I'm now tempted to pack my suitcase up but I've still got make up I'll be using and I'm not sure what I'll be wearing tomorrow and Tuesday so I don't know how much use it'll be. I'll probably just pack one side and pile everything on top, then shift it to the other side once I actually pack it. Having everything organised makes me feel so much more at peace, and I'm starting to get some travel anxiety about my full day on Wednesday so anything I can do to relieve that stress will be good.

Tomorrow I'll finally head to Itaewon in good time, and on Tuesday I'm meeting my friend and going to a music show recording! I got a ticket through a travel company to go watch SBS MTV The Show which I'm excited about! I'm not sure what groups are performing because they only release the line-up on the day but I think at least (G)-IDLE are performing which is cool because their debut song is so good! I can't imagine what it'll look like to be in the studio watching idols perform when I've only seen the videos of it on Youtube. Hopefully everything goes well! I've seen a few TV-shows being recorded while I was in the studio audience but I think this will be different, just seeing the singing and the dancing all live will be kind of like a concert!

I'll be departing to the airport on the last train out so, knowing me I'll be down at the subway station 15 minutes in advance. Then I'll have about five hours at the airport before I'm assuming I can start the check-in process with my bags and customs etc. I'm excited to go home!

I've been worried that people see me as just complaining about Korea but I've just wanted to be honest! This trip has not been the trip I imagined with my rose-tinted glasses on and that's okay, I've learned a lot about myself and solidified a bit more of my future plans. I'm so grateful to even have the chance to come here and the fact that I've been safe on my own is something to be thankful for. I'm lucky to experience this and have people who support my decisions!

Thank you for reading if you got this far, I think I'll need to give everyone a virtual gold star by the last post for sticking by me.

Cheers,
Becks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

on music

Hey, I'm a better me

Wait, you weren't allowed to read Harry Potter?